This is probably a simple question, but here goes.

I'm working on a patch which contains a modification to the setup.py file,
in order to indicate that a new directory exists in Sage.  I'm following
the instructions for exporting a patch on the mercurial howto, and it says
to move the patch to the front of the queue.  When I do so, the queue
breaks because many other people have also modified the setup.py file in
their patches.  So I fix it up and refresh.  But now the setup.py doesn't
match what the later patches expect, so they fail to apply.

The obvious solution seems to be to make the small modification to the
setup.py file for each of these patches and merge in the changes.  But that
violates the primary rule of the patch queue, which is to generally not
mess with other people's patches.

What does one do in this circumstance?

Best,
-tom