On 10/15/12 4:34 PM, tom d wrote:
> This is probably a simple question, but here goes.
>
> I'm working on a patch which contains a modification to the setup.py file, in
> order to indicate that a new directory exists in Sage.  I'm following the
> instructions for exporting a patch on the
> mercurial howto, and it says to move the patch to the front of the queue.
> When I do so, the queue breaks because many other people have also modified
> the setup.py file in their patches.  So I fix it
> up and refresh.  But now the setup.py doesn't match what the later patches
> expect, so they fail to apply.
>
> The obvious solution seems to be to make the small modification to the
> setup.py file for each of these patches and merge in the changes.  But that
> violates the primary rule of the patch queue, which
> is to generally not mess with other people's patches.
>
> What does one do in this circumstance?

Hi Tom,

One option would be to add your addition to setup.py in a place within the file
that the subsequent patches
do not touch. Then hopefully there won't be a conflict. Otherwise you could
disable the patches and
ask the owners to update their patch (or if you can see that their patch has
not changed in a long time,
just do it yourself and inform the patch owners).

Best,

Anne