Hey Vincent,
   I found this ticket #5039<http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/5039> in
which it mentions in the combinat queue (although it seems like it got
integrated into sage at some point...), they created the data structure
known as a disjoint set. From my understanding (a quick browse of source
code), the SetPartitions is the list of all set partitions of a given set,
whereas DisjointSet is a data structure which focuses on merging of its
sets and getting representatives from each set (see disjoint set's
wikipedia page <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disjoint_set_data_structure>).
However, this needs a different name; perhaps UnionFindSet or FindMergeSet?
Hope that clarifies things.

Best,
Travis