On 2012-12-13, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:30 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Anne Schilling <a...@math.ucdavis.edu>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi William,
>>>
>>> Is combinat.math.washington.edu out once again? The machine does not
>>> seem to respond.
>>
>> It's not crashed due to a memory error, since it responds to ping
>> requests.  However, I can't ssh into it, which can happen when too
>> many people run jobs at once (and the vm.overcommit ratio is too big,
>> and there isn't enough swap).   I'll get the sysadmins to reboot the
>> machine tomorrow morning, then tighten up the vm.overcommit, and add
>> more swap.
>
> The machine is back up.
> The vm.overcommit stuff looks fine -- it's the same settings as on
> sage.math, etc.
>
> Later today, I'm going to add an extra 96GB of swap to the little 32GB
> of swap currently there; this should help with stability a lot.

it might be GAP to blame, in part, as GAP reserves an amount of swap
sort of proportional to available RAM. Now imagine you run 50 Sage
sessions, each with an instance of GAP reserving a chunk of swap.
I tried to convince Volker on #13211 (comments 186 and later)
that this should be fixed, but he didn't agree...

Dima