On Friday, 7 March 2014 23:14:44 UTC+11, Nicolas M. ThiƩry wrote:

>         Dear Sage developers,
>
> This is a call for vote about the ticket:
>
>      #10963: axioms and more functorial constructions [1]

Dear Nicolas,

I think that it is good that this is being done (thank you!) but, like some
others, I'm not fond of the use of implicit code and black magic whenever
this makes it hard to track down the real source of some of the code. If
everything is well documented and explained then this is probably OK,
although I feel that one of the problems with python/sage documentation is
that we are encouraged to write good documentation for methods but there is
little emphasis of writing a self-contained general overview of what is
going on -- I've even had reviewers take this out when I have tried to
write it.

To take the category framework as an example, I have fought with it and won
on several occasions but it is always been a painful experience because I
find that the documentation is not very helpful. Of course, perhaps it is
just me but I find that most of the example code in the documentation is
artificial and treats only simplified situations and that many little
"secrets" are not documented at all. To be fair good documentation is hard
to write, especially when you have a complex piece of code. Even so, in my
experience there is quite a lot of undocumented magic in the category
framework.

I hope that the documentation for the functorial constructions patch is
more helpful.

Andrew