Hi Travis,

I would say that the skew partition input into bases (other than Schur
functions, and for Schurs the documentation is insufficient...see sf.html)
is undocumented and so the output should be suspect (and not what one would
hope).

For Schur functions, I think the output is what I would expect and so of
(A), (B) and (C), I think that (B) is the way to go and it should be better
documented.

I can add a fourth option:
if sp is a skew partition then
(D) basis(sp) returns basis(sp[0]).skew_by(basis.dual_basis()(sp[1]))
This agrees with the definition of the Schur function indexed by a skew
partition and would probably be the most natural analogue of the notation
basis(sp)
I can see two problems with this approach:
(a) I don't know how often "dual_basis" is implemented and
(b) one would need to document and mathematically motivate this notation
and I could see an argument being made for another definition.

Hence I still say (B).

Where are you planning to add the method skew_schur()?  Would this go as a
method of the Schur basis or of the symmetric functions?

-Mike