Bill Hart wrote:

> Anyhow, I'm now wondering whether MAGMA just uses Toom-3 instead of
> Karasuba by the time you get to degree 250 or so. I'll implement a
> Toom-3 algorithm once I get my Karasuba implementation sorted out, and
> we'll see.

Of course I am wrong. NTL runs roughly twice as fast for polynomials of
degree 300 as it would if it were using Karatsuba. If MAGMA is five
times faster again, then that is overall a factor of 10. No way is
Toom-3 going to do that much better for degree 300.

Anyhow, I fixed my Karatsuba implementation. It is about 10% faster
than NTL, but that might improve slightly. I don't expect it to change
much.

Presumably Pari uses something else, since it is faster for small
degrees. Perhaps it uses Toom-3.

Who knows what MAGMA uses.

Bill.