On 12/12/06, David Joyner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Speaking from ignorance, I'm not enthusiastic about a java requirement
> but can be convinced otherwise.
> (1) Can we realy distribute it now (since it is not yet GPL'd)?

We can't distribute java. However, we can distribute java applets,
because we wrote the code, and thus own the copyright over it. They
just won't be able to run without the (as of yet) non-GPL'ed virtual
machine.

> (2) is it really fast? I have found that java is annoyingly slow.

Java has really slow startup time, which is really noticeable when it
halts Firefox. But you can expect applets to run prettty fast, once
they're running.

Java in browsers *seriously* annoys me as well. In fact, it sort of
makes me cringe to think about Java applets in SAGE, as I *hate* sites
that have Java applets. On the other hand, I don't know if there's
much of an alternative.

> In fact, I usually block java (for security reasons, among others)
> on my browsers.
> (3) Is it really cross-platform? From Debian to FreeBSD to Mac OSX
> to windows?

Relatively. As long as those systems have VMs written for them. They
all have (non-open source) VMs/bytecode compilers written for them. I
think we can expect everything about Java to improve dramatically as
Sun releases these under the GPL

--
Bobby Moretti
[EMAIL PROTECTED]