On 3/23/07, Bill Page <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "In the end the calculation took about 77 hours on the
> supercomputer Sage."
>
> Would it be *that* embarrassing to admit that almost anyone
> with a high end "gaming" desktop computer could do this same
> calculation in about the same amount of time? Perhaps yes,
> given how much NSF money has gone into supporting super
> computer projects...

(1) I agree that calling SAGE a supercomputer is technically incorrect (and I
had nothing to do with it).

(2) You are incorrect that somebody could have done the calculation they did
with a  high end "gaming" desktop.  Sage.math is a $37K computer (paid for
by the NSF) with 64GB RAM; it was *incredibly* hard for them to do the
calculation
using only 64GB RAM + swap, and even then they used many of the cores to speed
up the computation.  The work they did was extremely memory intensive.

> For some reason this type of journalism and "science by press
> release" disturbs me. Am I alone in this reaction?

I am disturbed by all science journalism as soon as I know anything
about the topic being discussed.  Am I alone in this reaction?

> Do we have to promote our work this way?

"We" are not promoting it this way -- I had nothing to do with it, nor did
anybody else on sage-devel.

> BTW, congratulations to the mathematicians of the Atlas project.
> In spite of the hype, this is of course a momentus result!

Agreed!

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics