> [...]  Would the following work for you? [...]
>    [Save] [Save & Close] [ Close & Leave Running ] [Discard Changes]

Since you ask explicitly, yes that would work. The magical behaviour
before
was really surprisingly friendly, but rather unpredictable in resource
usage.

Keep in mind that it is still too easy to steer away from a page in
most browsers,
so a sheet can be "accidentally" closed. Is it possible to block
navigation events?

Also, from what I understand, worksheets are kept alive by the
"polling"
of the client? In that case, a flaky network connection (wireless?) or
an accidental
suspend of your laptop connecting to your backroom server could make
you lose the
state of a worksheet!

This makes me think that a checkbox "this worksheet is persistent"
might be better.

Obviously, this option should not exist on servers that serve a wide
range of users.
It's really for people doing big computations on their own set of
computers.