On Aug 13, 6:43 pm, "Joel B. Mohler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Monday 13 August 2007 11:57, Martin Albrecht wrote:
>

> > Hi [sage-devel], Burcin & PolyBori authors,
>
> > thanks to Burcin Erocal -- a PhD student from Linz, Austria -- first steps
> > are made to integrate the PolyBori framework into SAGE. PolyBori is a
> > framework for computing in the Boolean Ring
>
> >    F_2[x_1,....,x_n]/<x_1^2 + x_1, ...., x_n^2 + x_n>
>
> > using BDDs. More details can be found in
>
> >    http://www.ricam.oeaw.ac.at/mega2007/electronic/26.pdf
>
> > . Basically, it rocks! PolyBori depends on Scons

Definitely, I saw the Demo and talked with Michael Brickenstein and
Alexander Dreyer - very impressive and it would be great to get it
intergrated into SAGE.

> >    http://www.scons.org/
>
> > as build system and Boost
>
> >  http://www.boost.org/

While Scons is rather lightweight Boost is a 17MB compressed tarball.
Does PolyBori ship its own copy or do they depend on an external one?
If it were an internal copy do they use all of boost or do they just
copy the bits they need? When I talked to the authors of the software
at MEGA they had stated that they will do a public release by the end
of the year. Is that still the case because I looked for the sources a
couple minutes ago and counldn't find them.

> > to link C++ and Python. Both are not required by or shipped with SAGE. My
> > question: What should we do about it? Ship it? Patch PolyBori? Oh, in case
> > you wonder: not integrating PolyBori is not an option for me :-)
>
> A basic scons can be had in a 228kb tar ball.  This is an obvious good idea to
> install (in my hugely biased opinion).  Download the scons-local package (no
> docs or anything, only what you need to install software using
> scons).http://www.scons.org/download.php
>
> Don't be put off by the pre 1.0 version number.  The author of scons is
> completely anal about stability and backwards compatibility (and evidently
> totally disagrees with William's philosophy of version numbers :) ).
>
> --
> Joel

Cheers,

Michael