My opinion would be to factor out the notebook interface as a completely
separate package that happens to be useful for sage, but is also useful
for lots of other software.  So instead of a lite version of sage, and
a big version of sage which is a superset, the notebook would just be
a package that comes along with sage like bunzip2 does, and it could
also be made available separately in distributions.  This sounds pretty
close to what you said, but it wouldn't include sympy or other
mathematical functionality.

Maybe in *addition* there could be a "sagelite" which includes the
notebook and a few other pure python pieces.  But I definitely think
factoring out *just* the notebook would be a wonderful gift to the
community.

Dan