On 9/17/07, Peter Doyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 9/17/07, William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 9/17/07, Peter G. Doyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > --  It's still far from clear to me what `downloading' and `uploading'
> are
> > > supposed to mean.
> >

> > It's supposed to be exactly the same as "save" and "open".  Maybe I
> should
> > change the names to "save" and "open"?  Right now the terminology just
> > follows Google Documents (which inspired much of the notebook's layout).
> >

> I `upload' a paper to the arxiv:  That's like saving it.

You could also think of it as the arxiv opening the paper.  The SAGE
notebook
is not like the arxiv though -- it's a program, so this is more like opening
a file in Microsoft Word.

I `download'
> a paper from the arxiv:  That's like opening it.  Here the
> nomenclature seems to be backwards.

When you click download, what happens is that you save the file
to your local disk, and only after that happens it happens to
be opened by a pdf (or dvi or ps) reader on your computer.  Three
separate things happen.

It sounds from what you write though, that it is best to just stick
with the "upload" / "download" terminology, since it is *very* clear
in which direction the file goes in each case.  Upload means "goes
to the server (SAGE notebook), and download means it goes to
your local hard drive.

> > A better solution would, as you suggest, to define a function like
> > range -- but not called range -- that includes both endpoints.
> > One possibly nasty possibility would be to allow Magma-like
> > notation:
> >   sage: [1..4]
> >   [1, 2, 3, 4]
> >  I can't think of any situation where .. (not in a string) is valid
> Python,
> > so the above might be a reasonable option.
> >

> This sounds like a great idea!  I like having the lower bound explicit.
>
> I wonder if there would be some consistent way to make 1..4 stand for
> an iterator, and [1..4] a list.  Hmm:  then since we'd want [2,3,5..9]
> to be a list, we'd want 2,3,5..9 to be an iterator, whereas (2,3,5..9)
> would presumably be a tuple, which seems problematic.  Is there a
> clean way to handle this?

I don't know.  I'll wait to see if sage-devel (the mailing list) generates
discussion about this before deciding whether to consider actually
doing it.  Since nobody has seriously proposed it before (after 2.5
years), there may be some good arguments against it.  A general
rule of thumb with Sage development is that one should avoid
modifying the preparser if at all possible, because all such modifications
distance Sage from the very widely used and known Python language,
and this in itself actually can cause a lot of problems and confusion.
So we're pretty conservative about making any changes at all to
the preparser at this point.

> How does one specify an integer range in Maple, Mathematica, Maxima?
> >

> In Mathematica, Range[10] is 1..10, Range[0,10] is 0..10.

Interesting.  It is like in Python, but adjusted for Mathematica being
1-based.

 -- William