The two things that Allan's method seems to allow that the embedding
into C won't directly allow are:

1) Return an absolute number field which contains all the elements
defined so far.

2) Compute a splitting field of a given field.

Numbers 1 and 2 could be implemented independently though. Allan says
number 1 is very expensive and probably not practical if the absolute
degree of the resulting field is > 20. So no surprises there. Number 2
is also going to be expensive, but it is with Allan's system too.

So for Qbar at least there is no advantage that I can see of doing
things Allan's way.

Bill.