I tried emailing the author of mathguide several times a few years ago,
with no response. Of course, my email was in English, which might have been the
problem. In any case, I did not get the impression that it was open source.
Either I am wrong or I presume this guy got permission from the
mathguide author to distribute a derived work based on his code?