well, sorry Michael, it is not in my PATH :) INTEL ships stuff that
get installed in /opt, and I like that as it is not usua;l to have
PATH pointing there, so I make a point not to add it to make sure I
keep using GNU consistently, unless I decide not to do so.....
When I have time, I will try to debug SAGE numpy setup and see if I
can come up with something. I am not a distutils expert but that
should not be so hard to get at least the beginning of a hint.
best,
Johann

P.S. waiting for a solution, I am using wxMaxima :). I am actually new
to all this free CAS stuff, so I do not know what SAGE will add to
Maxima... but I am happy to help debugging as it looks like a great
project! So kudos...