On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 3:14 PM rjf <fate...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You could take a look at what Albert Rich has done for testing Rubi in
> different systems.
> Also, the theorem proving people using Coq want to match up with CAS.
> Also, the history of formalizing mathematics  (Frege, Russell, etc) may
> influence your thinking. Maybe discourage you; see the history of tarpits.

I looked at these, but I am not seeing much in the way how  this is
relevant.  I probably didn't make it clear that I wasn't looking for
absolute truth....

> My view is colored by the fact that different CAS do not even agree
> on the semantics of sin(x)  or Sin[x],  e.g. how it simplifies.
> MathML does not care, I suspect. OpenMath used to say something
> like "the usual sine(x)" which is a cop-out. What is sin(2*x)?

doesn't seem all that relevant either. When I go to a CAS or a computer to
seek answers I have some real question or problem that I want to
understand, and hope that the computer will give me an answer that helps me
understand whatever it is I am trying to accomplish and/or gives me some
insight towards that problem.

The answer doesn't have to be absolute or exact in some abstract sense, but
rather an answer that is the best effort given the limitations of the
systems in use

I also care about transparency: how what I wrote was interpreted, and which
system was used to produce the answer, and maybe why it gave that answer.
It is assumed I will know or can look up that system's strengths and
weaknesses, and how it interprets things. For a large number of the cases
that come up, many systems will agree and, if not,  give an answer that
makes sense and more importantly addresses the underlying question I had.
And if not, I am prepared to iterate over the question as long as I
understand the process and reasoning used.

> If you really want to make them all talk to each other, I think

Although I said that was a hand-wavy goal. This is throwing too much of a
monkey wrench into things. To paraphrase a lesser-known line from an
illiterate stage actor to the kid he's mentoring from Sholem Alechiem's
Wandering Stars:

I dictate; you (the computer) write down; I sign.

Or in other words I express something (without having to understand too
much of the syntax details of each CAS),  the computer translates that
using a transparent scheme (to its best effort which may be approximate or
flawed), I look over the results, and sign off on.

you have to pick one CAS, preferably the most full-featured