Dear all,

I think we reached a consensus that we should have more and more
of the sage source code made as independent Python packages. This
effort has already started with cysignals, cypari2, pplpy and
gappy.

However, this externalizations comes with some inconvenience and
I would like to discuss one issue with documentation that was
raised in ticket #31404. Namely, the problem is that we want
something like `:mod:cypari2.gen` inside sage documentation to be
resolved by sphinx to what it should be (that could be: a link
to the documentation in SAGE_SHARE, to the local system
documentation on the computer or to online documentation). If
all these standard sage packages would install their documentation
in `$SAGE_SHARE` that would be easy, but I don't think we want to
assume such a thing in general (eg linux distributions do not).
One problem is that the cypari2 Python library does not know if
and where its documentation has been installed.

On linux platforms they solve this issue by making two distinct
packages: one for the library one for the documentation. Should
we also have this duplication library versus documentation for
each package?

See also the related ticket #27495

Cheers
Vincent