On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 12:52 PM Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 10:11 AM Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 4:00 PM E. Madison Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > In 2019 Julian Rüth and I, with the help of some others, already put
> > > in some effort to set up an organization for SageMath on GitLab:
> > > https://gitlab.com/sagemath
> > >
> > > Between GitHub and GitLab, we felt that the latter would be more
> > > acceptable to the broader Sage community.  We also implemented a bot
> > > that can mirror GitLab merge requests as Trac tickets, though it's
> > > been in need of troubleshooting for a while.
> > >
> > > This was also done before the advent of GitHub Actions, and the
> > > ability to provide custom CI runners for GitLab Pipelines seemed
> > > advantageous, since we could maintain our own fleet of runners, be it
> > > on Sage developers' personal machines (if they are generous enough to
> > > host them) or any conceivable constellation of cloud computing
> > > platforms.
> > >
> > > In practice this has gained little traction, in part due to lack of
> > > advertising.  The GitLab Runner solution also proved a bit troublesome
> > > to maintain, as it required some constant attention to make sure there
> > > were always working runners available.   I tried to keep that up for a
> > > while myself, but have had other obligations.
> >
> > I think it should be mentioned that GitLab has an analog of GitHub Actions,
> > and the difference is that its runners may be self-hosted, or provided
> > by GitLab.
> > E.g. see https://gitlab.com/sagemath/dev/trac/-/pipelines/266731297
>
> I just tried to switch to a "community" runner, and got an error which
> is probably
> obvious to people versed in Docker:
>
> https://gitlab.com/sagemath/dev/trac/-/jobs/1089520433

I think it might be because the Docker builds have been otherwise not
working for a while (due to lack of reliable runners).  So a more
recent "build-from-clean" job is needed.  These jobs are run when
develop/master are updated as well as on tags.  Whereas
"built-from-latest" is run on branches for tickets.  It tries to build
the branch on top of the "latest" Docker image e.g. for develop.  But
the last one that built successfully is too old, and so trying to make
the diff between that ticket and the version of develop it's based on
fails.  Hence the message:

"Could not find commit fbca269f627bf6a8bc6f0a611ed7e26260ebc994 in
your local Git history. Please merge in the latest built develop
branch to fix this: git fetch trac && git merge
fbca269f627bf6a8bc6f0a611ed7e26260ebc994"

But for the automated CI that's not a very useful message...

I know Matthias has done some impressive things to get around GitHub
Actions' time limit on jobs by breaking the build up into "stages"
that can be split across multiple jobs.  I see no reason that couldn't
work with GitLab as well.

But it would still be better to have our own fleet of runners--they
would be faster, and we could test on more different custom hardware
configurations.  The problem is that this is at a minimum a part-time
job...