This morning I tried to copy a matrix output, edit it, and create a new
matrix.  It was frustrating because there seemed to be no way to easily
cut and paste output into input.  This afternoon a person I was showing
Sage to also had the same concern.

There has been discussion before on the python convention of str versus
repr, especially in light of the python docs:

"repr(object)
     Return a string containing a printable representation of an object.
This is the same value yielded by conversions (reverse quotes). It is
sometimes useful to be able to access this operation as an ordinary
function. For many types, this function makes an attempt to return a
string that would yield an object with the same value when passed to
eval()."

For matrices, repr() and str() yield the same output which is pretty
much useless to try to cut and paste back into input.

Please let me know if

  * I should not implement repr for matrices and graphs in accordance to
the python docs.

  * There is another function, like the input_form that mabshoff
suggested on 2386, which could give a code-like representation of an
object if possible?

Thanks,

Jason