On Mar 27, 11:13 pm, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think it's worth rethiking our _foo_init_ methods a little and allowing
> a tiny bit more than a single string that has to eval to the object.
> However, it's critical that we don't do something that is at all complicated
> or "nicely overengineered" or we'll possibly end up like openmath.
> So what are your latest thoughts?  Is there anything slightly less
> simple than "a single string" that does what is needed?

This is the simplest thing I could think of that:
a) gives very nice output, the sort of thing that somebody might
actually type in (using reasonable variable names, without lots of
redundant coercions all over the place, etc.), and
b) is very, very simple to add to a class (because all the complexity
is in a single module, that I'm planning to write).

Relaxing either of these goals would indeed allow for a much simpler
scheme.

I said "overengineered" for two reasons: I had the above two goals in
mind, which I'm not sure were important to other people in the
discussion; and because my proposal actually seemed a little bit too
detailed for a "rough proposal".

I'm actually a little upset here... I put a fair bit of effort into
thinking about this, and it feels like that's all getting discarded
because of a poor word choice on my part.  Could you try reading the
proposal again, except ignore the word "overengineered", and see if
you can come up with a more substantive response than "possibly end up
like openmath"?

Carl