On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 9:15 AM Matthias Koeppe
<matthiaskoe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 4:57:36 AM UTC-7 kcrisman wrote:
>>>
>>> On another note, I realize that the comment I made 6 years ago after
>>> Volker's comment is still relevant:
>>
>> "There's also the non-trivial (though not blocker, probably) issue that
>> zillions of links to trac.sagemath.org would instantly be obsolete"
>>
>> How long do we want to have Trac still exist, but be read-only?  Obviously
>> we wouldn't take it down right away, but presumably eventually we would need
>> to do so.
>

> The solutions for this are discussed in the ticket description of
> https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/30363 - we can keep the external links to
> trac.sagemath.org working by means of redirects to the equivalent github
> issues.

More precisely, we could download a complete static copy of all of
trac to static html (e.g., using recursive wget), then publish that
static html using github pages, and modify our DNS to point there.
The result would be free, fast, robust, and can be there indefinitely,
and would provide a read-only copy of all the pages on trac.    We
could also automatically edit each static page to have a clear banner
stating that it is an archive, and include a link to the corresponding
GitHub issue.

I'm not volunteering to do that.  I'm just saying it is technically
possible, and probably not that hard.

William

--
William (http://wstein.org)