On Mar 26, 5:53 pm, "Justin C. Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2008, at 09:15 , mabshoff wrote:
>

> > On Mar 26, 4:43 pm, "Justin C. Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> On Mar 26, 2008, at 24:27 , mabshoff wrote:
> [snip]
> >> You certainly don't have to apologize.  This is why god invented the
> >> alpha cycle :-}
> > Yeah, but that mean that any Sage release that is supposed to work
> > will so far only work up to 10.5.1. I didn't know that the tiny
> > version number of OSX can be unequal to zero.
>
> This sed script must be new, then.  Here's what I get from that macro
> on 10.4.11:
>     8.11.1
>
> Note: this is how the Mac OS X versions and darwin/xnu versions line up:
>     10.5.2
>        9.2.2
>     10.4.11
>        8.11.1
>
> The third position in the kernel version is independent of the 3rd
> position in the Mac OS X version.  For the kernel, the third position
> corresponds to a (released) version of the xnu kernel.
>
> Thus, as of 10.5.2, there have been three ""10.5" kernels, 9.2.0,
> 9.2.1, and 9.2.2).  It's possible that not everyone will see a given
> point-release of a kernel (e.g., when a major new platform is
> released, it may require a point-release of the kernel).

Thanks for providing that info. I didn't know too many details in that
area.

>Note also
> that these "positions" need not be single digits.  We've seen that in
> 10.4 (the minor Mac OS X releases 10.4.10 and 10.4.11 broke a number
> of software hacks that expected only single digits).

Yeah, that is exactly what my concern is. The current hack ought to be
good for another six months, but I am sure it will bite us in the ass
at some point. I plan to use avail.h or something which should be much
cleaner.

> Justin

Cheers,

Michael