On Mar 26, 6:43 pm, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:09 AM, mabshoff
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >  On Mar 26, 6:02 pm, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  > Is any of the code gpl v3+ only?
>
> >  No.
>
> That's good.
>

> >  > How difficult will it be to update our version whenever upstream
> >  > changes?  Do only you know how to do this?
>
> >  Not particularly hard.
>
> You didn't answer my second question.

Gary did it and I didn't pay much attention to it. I assume it will be
documented. I don't consider such a thing "hard" once it has been
documented.

> >  > Why put this in c_lib instead of a separate spkg called glib-min?
> >  > Couldn't such a package be useful outside of sage?
>
> >  It is easiest if we put it into libcsage.
>
> That's not a good enough answer.   Until now almost all code in libcsage and
> the main sage library has been new code we've written -- except a few
> exceptions,
> where we greatly regretted them greatly and moved the code out later.
> So from experience I'm very opposed to this code being in c_lib.
>
> I vote -1 to this code going into sage unless:
>    (1) it is put in a separate spkg, and

We can certainly do that.

>    (2) the process of extracting glib-min from the official glib
> tarball is automated.

That is unlikely to happen since it requires manual interaction. It
will break in the next release in six months and writing automated
tools will take longer than actually doing the work in the first
place.

>   -- William

Cheers,

Michael