On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:16 AM, didier deshommes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:52 PM, mabshoff
>  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >  On Mar 26, 6:43 pm, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >  > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:09 AM, mabshoff
>  >  >
>  >
>  > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  > >  On Mar 26, 6:02 pm, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >  > >  > Is any of the code gpl v3+ only?
>  >  >
>  >  > >  No.
>  >  >
>  >  > That's good.
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > >  > How difficult will it be to update our version whenever upstream
>  >  > >  > changes?  Do only you know how to do this?
>  >  >
>  >  > >  Not particularly hard.
>  >  >
>  >  > You didn't answer my second question.
>  >
>  >  Gary did it and I didn't pay much attention to it. I assume it will be
>  >  documented. I don't consider such a thing "hard" once it has been
>  >  documented.
>  >
>  >
>  >  > >  > Why put this in c_lib instead of a separate spkg called glib-min?
>  >  > >  > Couldn't such a package be useful outside of sage?
>  >  >
>  >  > >  It is easiest if we put it into libcsage.
>  >  >
>  >  > That's not a good enough answer.   Until now almost all code in
> libcsage and
>  >  > the main sage library has been new code we've written -- except a few
>  >  > exceptions,
>  >  > where we greatly regretted them greatly and moved the code out later.
>  >  > So from experience I'm very opposed to this code being in c_lib.
>  >  >
>  >  > I vote -1 to this code going into sage unless:
>  >  >    (1) it is put in a separate spkg, and
>  >
>  >  We can certainly do that.
>  >
>  >
>  >  >    (2) the process of extracting glib-min from the official glib
>  >  > tarball is automated.
>  >
>  >  That is unlikely to happen since it requires manual interaction. It
>  >  will break in the next release in six months and writing automated
>  >  tools will take longer than actually doing the work in the first
>  >  place.
>
>  How frequent are the glib releases? If they're not that frequent, this
>  should less than an issue as long as Gary documents what he's done
>  somewhere :)

If you've been maintaining packages for Sage for three years, and expect
to be maintaining them for years to come, you'de view this as a much
bigger deal. It's really bad when there is a big chunk of code in Sage
that gets out of stream with "up stream", but no easy way to resolve that
problem.

 -- William