On Mar 26, 2008, at 4:48 PM, Gary Furnish wrote:

> I have not yet benchmarked hash tables (nor actually tried them
> out), but one of the big advantages is that they avoid much of the
> memory management issues, so I don't expect them to be slower (and
> if they are, I may have to fix that).

It is my understanding that Python dictionaries have been optimized a
lot, because in the end most of the speed of Python boils down to how
fast it can do dictionary lookups. I'm thinking specifically of the
case where keys and/or values are Python objects. (If they are not
then wrapping them can be a large overhead.) As for memory management
issues, if one is storing Python objects than this is actually a
bonus, otherwise one would have to do the memory management manually
(which is both error-prone and negates any savings).

- Robert