I have a proposal: It should be forbidden to call for a vote on a proposal
before there has been a discussion.

Without a chair, it would be impossible for this group to follow Robert's
Rules of Order, even approximately.  But the basic process should still be
the same. The rules are designed to allow a deliberative body to make
progress. The steps are:
1. Somebody makes a proposal (motion).
2. Somebody else seconds the motion.  This prevents the group from wasting
its time on a proposal supported by only one person.
3. The group discusses the proposal, perhaps amending it, usually with
"friendly" amendments that the proposer agrees to.  The discussion makes it
possible for the group to make an informed decision.
4. Then there is a vote.

- Marc