OK. Sage tarballs and the wheels are uploaded to our mirror sites. So wheel
packages end up in the mirror sites. This is what you say "mirroring PyPI".

You object to "mirroring PyPI", that is, wheel packages. For its
replacement, you propose to fetch wheels directly from PyPI by switching to
"pip" packages.
For users installing sage from sage tarball, this (switching to "pip"
packages) means (again) to assume internet connection at install time.
Right?

This is Dima's reponse to this:

> You still need to get the tarball from the internet, no?

Once a user gets the tarball either from the internet or by usb stick, he
can install sage from the tarball later without internet connection, say in
flight.

If we keep this installation form as the standard way to install sage from
source and do not give up tarball, then I think wheel packages and
"mirroring PyPI" is unavoidable.