On Apr 24, 3:03 am, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
dortmund.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One more thing about Solaris: The game plan of the Solaris port has
> slightly changed. The initial port will be Solaris 10 and no longer
> Solaris 9.

That seems sensible. Solaris 10 has been out a long while, so it does
not seem unreasonable that someone upgrade to that - especially as it
is free.

The only downside of insisting on Solaris 10 is that it excludes some
older 32-bit workstations, but I think anyone looking to make use of
this sort of software on Solaris is likely to be using a 64-bit Sun.

> The compiler I will use is Sun Fort 12 [or whatever cc 5.9
> corresponds to].

Sun studio 12 is a free download.

kestrel /export/home/drkirkby % cc -V
cc: Sun C 5.9 SunOS_sparc Patch 124867-01 2007/07/12
usage: cc [ options] files.  Use 'cc -flags' for details

This is probably what you mean, which seems sensible to me.

> The main reason is that the header situation with
> Sun's compiler is much better and building even Python with Sun's
> compiler in 64 bit mode is fairly trivial while doing so with gcc is a
> huge pain when you actually want to use stuff like the md5 module.

I'll take your word for that.

> Additionally in most cases many installs have crap in /usr/local and
> that really, really produces a lot of problems with gcc, while it
> seems that with Sun's cc and CC I have much tighter control over that
> issue.

Yes. In any case, Sun's compiler is quite a bit quicker on Solaris
SPARC than gcc. I suspect that is less so on x86, since the assembler
code written will be much closer to that which was optimised on
Linux.

> On top of that dealing with the 32 vs. 64 bit issue on Solaris
> [multilib is a really, really dumb idea, especially if you default to
> 32 bit on as 64 bit platform - but I could bitch about that for hours,
> so I will spare you the details] is something that seems to be less of
> a problem with Sun's tool chain.

> Apple's decision to do the exact same
> kind of move doesn't bode to well, but at least they have universal
> binaries/library support to lessen that blow.
>
> Oh well, porting sucks ;)

Yes, it can do.

I remember once having some code which worked on just about everything
except a Cray. Then I found out why

sizeof(short) == 8

on the Cray. That made life a bit hard, as I had to write the shorts
as two separate characters. But it had the knock on advantage of
removing endianness issues.

At one time I used to run quite a collection of UNIX boxes for
portability testing, including

* Dec Alpha running Tru64
* HP workstation running HP-UX
* IBM server running AIX
* Suns running Solaris, NetBSD and Linux.
* SGI Octane running IRIX
* PC running linux
* PC running Solaris x86

Whilst I don't have a Cray, I also tested it on a Cray. But I can't
recall the last time much of that hardware was used.

Anyway, if I can help with a Solaris port, I'm quite willing to.

Dave