On Apr 25, 12:36 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Apr 24, 2:39 am, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED] dortmund.de> wrote:

Hi David,

> > >  'spkg-install' uses '==' to check equality. That might be ok in bash,
> > > but it is not ok in /bin/sh which is the shell that the script uses.
>
> > Yeah, the curse of nearly ever Linux distro linking sh to bash. The
> > problem is known and on my list of things to clean up. The general
> > plan is to change all shebangs to
>
> > #!/usr/bin/env bash
>
> Em,
> I personally would not have done that.

I was only speaking about the spkg-install scripts here. Since we need
bash anyway due to some incompatibilities with sh I don't see any
problem there.

> > since Sage requires bash anyway and a some of the configure scripts in
> > Sage's components do not play nicely with the Solaris 9 sh for
> > example.
>
> Any configure script created by autoconf will work with Sun's shell.

Not really IMHO. The clisp configure script for example is broken on
pure sh and it isn't something simple like a bashism in the autohell
part of it.

> I'd prefer to fix the configure scripts, but I guess you might think
> that is more work. Personally I would tend to limit GNUism.

Sure, it is like fighting windmills these days ;)

> > > The following works ok - I replaced == by = whenever == was seen
>
> > I put fixing readline on the list of things to do.
>
> At least it is a very easy fix.

Yep.

> > The plan on my end right now is to fix the OSX 10.5 64 bit and FreeBSD
> > ports in 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 and then tackle the Solaris port in earnest
> > again once coercion is merged. Sorry for never getting back to you on
> > your last email about the use of your Solaris boxen, post 3.0.2 you
> > will definitely hear from me again.
>
> I have some spare hardware, so can probably fit what OS you want to
> test on.
>
> Perhaps you should consider the buildbot
>
> http://buildbot.net/trac
>
> It is bascially a robot which builds software on different platforms,
> then reports any build problems. I'm on a developers mailing list for
> wireshark and note that the buildbot is pretty good at picking up
> problems where someone introduces a fix, but which screws up on some
> other operating system. I've not used it myself, but from what I can
> see, it looks to see who made the changes, then lists those that have
> made changes which create a problem.

Yes, we have certainly talked about doing something more automated in
that regard. The main thing to actually be able to use build bot like
build systems is to set up a development repo. But that has been a
much requested feature, so it will happen soon I hope.

> Dave

Cheers,

Michael