On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Jonathan Bober <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I'm not sure exactly what the speed differences are, but I think that
>  they are quite significant. When writing the partition counting code,
>  which uses quaddouble, I recall that things ran much slower if "sloppy"
>  multiplication and division were not enabled. (However, I have no hard
>  benchmarks to back this up right now, so this statement shouldn't be
>  taken too seriously, and I could be wrong -- it would be nice if I had
>  some real data.)
>
>  Anyway, I don't think that this isn't necessarily an issue of
>  correctness vs. noncorrectness. It's an issue of precision -- in one
>  implementation multiplication/division is correct to within X bits, and
>  in the other it is correct to within (X + a few more) bits, but it takes
>  [a lot?] longer. In at least some applications, it is very desirable to
>  accept a small loss of precision in exchange for a large speedup.
>
>  Also, regarding benchmarking, I wonder what the speed difference is
>  between quaddouble with IEEE error bounds vs. mprf at 212 bits. And
>  while I'm wondering, I also wonder whether there is any even any reason
>  for RQDF to exist:
>
>  sage: def f(x):
>    ...:     for i in xrange(1000000):
>    ...:         y = x * x
>    ...:
>  sage: x = RQDF(1/1000)
>  sage: timeit("f(x)")
>  5 loops, best of 3: 802 ms per loop
>  sage: x = RealField(212)(1/1000)
>  sage: timeit("f(x)")
>  5 loops, best of 3: 872 ms per loop
>
>  quaddouble is certainly faster than mpfr, but it seems likely that in
>  any application from with sage the python overhead will eat up most of
>  the speed difference. (quaddouble is certainly good thing to have
>  "underneath the hood", but I just don't know that there is much use to
>  having it externally visible.)

I have also questioned having quaddouble in Sage via Python
and wondered about it.   There might be some overhead because
of C++ being involved in the wrapping.  Also, though arithmetic
is the same speed, special functions (e.g., trig functions) are twice
as fast with quad double as with mpfr.

William