On Apr 29, 12:16 pm, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
dortmund.de> wrote:
> On Apr 29, 1:54 am, Francois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 29, 11:33 am, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Hi Francois,
>
> > Hi Michael,
>
> > The latest upstream release has the same default.
>
> Ok.
>
> >I try to get what  upstream
> > offers and I didn't see any archives of old release like the one used
> > in sage.
> > What about "sloppy" mult and div? I don't really have any benchmarks
> > to offer
> > we should ask upstream about the gains and loses.
>
> We should fix either issue, even if we were to pay some penalty since
> correctness is more important than speed. Getting wrong results faster
> is kind of pointless.
>
> > Francois
>
> Once you get some answer from upstream please open a ticket. I find it
> odd that the defaults are this way to say the least.

I did email the author about the precision here is what he has to say:

For ieee-add, it all depends on what kind of error bound you need.
If enabled, the error satisfies

  |e| <= |a+b| * epsilon

It not enabled, the error satisfies

  |e| <= epsilon * max (|a|, |b|)

For most uses the second one is just fine, but some times one needs
the
first one.

Sloppy-mul and sloppy div usually degrades by few bits, so maybe you
lose a digit of accuracy.  For double-double, the degredation is
smaller.