William Stein wrote:
> Michael and Sage-devel,
>
> This is happening a lot (see below):
>
>  >  I was trying to create a random matrix with single digit integer
> entries using
>  >  B = random_matrix(ZZ,100,x=0,x=9)
>  >
>  >  I get the following error and the worksheet seems to break down after
> that.
>  >  /usr/local/sage/local/bin/sage-sage: line 357:  7881 Illegal instruction
>
>  We really need to find a way to *immediately* report that
> "this Sage binary doesn't work on your processor" ASAP instead of after weeks
> and only when people push Sage to its limits.
>
> Or we need to build better binaries.  Any ideas?

Steal the CPU detection code from ATLAS and use that to test to see if
the processor we're running on is the same as the processor we compiled
for?  That seems like a bit much.

How about compiling a generic binary (i.e., minimal optimizations)?  Is
that possible with ATLAS and the other programs?

Jason