On May 2, 9:04 pm, "John Cremona" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi John,

> Now would I know non-SSE hardware if I met it in the wild?

On Linux:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/scratch/mabshoff/release-cycle/sage-3.0.1.rc0$ cat /
proc/cpuinfo  | grep flags
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext
fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm cmp_legacy

So: sage.math has mmx, sse,  sse2, 3dnowext, 3dnow [which are all
fairly obvious] and pni [==Prescott New Instruction, nee SSE3 -
brilliant move by Intel]

From the above info we can create a one liner bash script that returns
true for SSE2 capable hardware. All x86-64 compatible CPUs have SSE2,
so it is a non-issue there.

> John

Cheers,

Michael