On May 2, 8:06 pm, Jason Grout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> William Stein wrote:

Hi,

> Steal the CPU detection code from ATLAS and use that to test to see if
> the processor we're running on is the same as the processor we compiled
> for?  That seems like a bit much.

You really don't want to do that - believe me, I have seen and
improved the ATLAS cpu detection code and it requires an assembler to
work. Other than that it is overblown and we can cook up something
better and simpler with a three line bash script ;)

> How about compiling a generic binary (i.e., minimal optimizations)?  Is
> that possible with ATLAS and the other programs?

Yes, but then something else will break. Depending on the compiler you
use it just uses SSE2 instructions unless you specifically tell the
compiler not to use it. And attempting to dix that via CFLAGS and
CPPFLAGS is not a good idea. Somebody needs to find some pre-SSE2
hardware and donate it to William so we can build a "last resort"
binary. Anything else will likely not work.

tseug from IRC did build Sage 3.0 on some Duron laptop and it took 22
hours, so building from source is generally not a good idea for people
with low end hardware, but since we cannot and will not likely provide
binaries for a wide range of distributions for non-SSE2 hardware due
to limited and usually slow hardware it is something we will have to
deal with for a while. Could we use a bunch on non-SSE2 Athlons with
decent, i.e. 1GB RAM, this would be doable.

> Jason

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Michael