On May 6, 2008, at 2:19 PM, Mike Hansen wrote:

>> Probably not so cool, since it would be like 50 machines vs one
>> machine.
>
> Sure, but the Mathematica blog post is scalablity: "In Mathematica, a
> core principle is that everything should be scalable. So in my job of
> creating algorithms for Mathematica I have to make sure that
> everything I produce is scalable."

But Pari's algorithm is already parallelisable (just farm off a bunch
of euler factors to each thread).

The only advantage my algorithm has in "scalability" is that each
thread needs only O(1) memory, instead of O(n log n) which would be
required for Pari's algorithm. So if memory were tight, but you had
lots of processors, and your n was really big, then perhaps this
algorithm would win. But when I think about the actual numbers
involved, the economics just don't work out. Even 80 processors is a
pathetically small number, given a 50x serial slowdown in the
algorithm. You would need thousands of cpus to even consider this
approach. And even then, it would only be worthwhile if each cpu had
very limited memory.

david