On Tue, 13 May 2008 at 07:33PM -0700, William Stein wrote:
> Recently I asked Harald Schilly to spend some time and create a new
> fresh website design for Sage.  His new design is here:
>
>    http://lite.sagemath.org/
>
> It rocks!   It just looks modern.
>
> However, please, look at it, and criticize it!

I also agree that it's too blue. The color scheme is fine, but less of
it would be nice. :)

I also think the animated, sliding lozenge at the top is too much.

When I hover the mouse over something like "Download" on the front page,
the box highlights and I can click to go to
http://lite.sagemath.org/download.html. But when hovering over the word
"Download", the destination URL doesn't show up on the bottom bar of my
Firefox window. (This is with 3.0 beta 5.) I *really* dislike that. It's
bad UI -- I use the destination URL as a way of telling me what's going
to happen if I click.

I would change the last line of the intro blurb:

  It provides an entire in itself closed distribution of various
  software packages and is actively developed by many people.

by changing the "entire in itself closed" bit:

  It provides an entire distribution of various software packages and is
  actively developed by many people.

I would remove the web-based IRC client embedded into
http://lite.sagemath.org/help-irc.html; perhaps just point people to a
list of different kinds of IRC clients.

I like the title "Sage Mathematical Software" suggested by John
Palmieri, since the word "sage" functions both as a noun and an
adjective. :)

Dan

--
---  Dan Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>