On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 12:12 -0700, William Stein wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Glenn H Tarbox, PhD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > WARNING: its entirely up to you whether you wanna get into this... and
> > DVCS wars easily exceed politics and religion in the emotions and
> > vitriol generated.
>
> At least they aren't as bad as license wars.  I think most people around
> here care about DVCS insofar as "it works" or "it doesn't work". At least
> that's my view.
>
> > The DVCS battle is currently between hg, bzr and git with hg giving up
> > ground to bzr... and git being git
>
> I was hoping you could write a little more about the sense in which you
> see that hg is giving up ground to bzr.  Are project switching from hg
> to bzr? Is this just a feature comparison?

Basically, Canonical has put a huge effort into bzr and launchpad.
Sourceforge is, more or less, out of the question for most projects as
its painfully slow, often broken, and is splashed with ads.

Launchpad is mostly bzr.  So my comment is more about SVN/CVS finally
going away with some rapidity and the obvious place for projects to move
is launchpad which really means bzr.

since Hg and bzr are both python that's considered neutral... mostly,
people see more activity and legs with bzr given canonical's heft... so
for the part of the world I monitor, SVN to bzr / launchpad is the
entire discussion.

And, as you indicate, most folks just want it to work... they know they
need DVCS so any differences between Hg and bzr are, like, whatever....

Twisted and IPython are both moving from svn to lauchpad / bzr.  IPython
is right in the throws of the conversion and the list is littered with
some problems they're having.  My guess is Scipy is right behind.

And, of course, emacs is likely moving to bzr... but thats because bzr
went GNU... and it caused quite a stir due to the rather questionable
non-technical nature of the decision... but stallman has been slowly
killing emacs for many years (they're moving over from CVS!!!)

git is typically thrown out early because "it doesn't support windows"
which isn't true (at some point it might have been true) but I don't
think git cares.  A quick glance at the git documentation is enough to
put anyone off git... even Twisted... which is saying quite a bit to
anyone whose traversed Twisted and its docs.

One quick link is: http://www.infoq.com/articles/dvcs-guide

-glenn

--
Glenn H. Tarbox, PhD || 206-494-0819 || [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any