On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 15:40 -0400, didier deshommes wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Glenn H Tarbox, PhD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > So, I propose there's a misunderstanding of Hg and clone vs. branch.  I
> > claim that branching is a trivial operation, switching between branches
> > is fast, and that the entire point of DVCS is lost with the clone
> > operation.
>
> Yes, branching is trivial but I still prefer cloning. I've worked with
> both methods of development (branch or clone) and I prefer cloning
> because:
> - I don't need to think which branch I'm working on at any given moment.
> - I don't have worry about merging my changes back into main at some
> point in time. I suspect this is more psychological than anything.

I address your first point in another post... but basically you've gotta
worry that often with symlinks.  I bet we could write a thingy
in .bashrc which splashed which branch you were on....

and I'd argue that the merge is trivial and would help determine if
you've introduced a collision with the mainline which you didn't
anticipate.

> But then again, I found branching to be useful for moderate-to-massive
> rewrites and the work I've done on sage has mainly been bug fixes
> (which are mostly small-ish rewrites).

 <snip>

> I think you are wrong about git not becoming mainstream. Git is being
> made more and more popular and hip because of http://github.com . It's
> a really impressive web app. This is the "killer app" for git, just as
> the Launchpad is the "killer app" for bzr.  This is the kind of app
> that Hg is missing and it's glaring.

I'd love to be wrong on this one... I personally prefer git for many
reasons but mostly because at the "plumbing" its simply better (IMHO).

but, wow, way to write clear and understandable documentation....

and the porcelain just ain't all that great yet... it could be... just
isn't.

--
Glenn H. Tarbox, PhD || 206-494-0819 || [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any