On Jul 18, 1:01 am, "John Cremona" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi John,

> Following Ansrzej's report I tried the same thing.  For me the test
> always takes 2.0-2.1s but the 5th or 6th time I got the failure:
> sage -t  devel/sage/sage/modular/ssmod/ssmod.py

<SNIP>

> /home/jec/sage-3.0.6.alpha0/tmp/.doctest_ssmod.py
>          [2.1 s]
> exit code: 1024

> The following tests failed:
>
>         sage -t  devel/sage/sage/modular/ssmod/ssmod.py
> Total time for all tests: 2.1 seconds
>
> -- after that another 10 tests of that file went ok (and only took 2s).
>
> John

William and I poked around and it seems to be LinBox related, more
specifically computing the charpoly mod p with LinBox 1.1.6.rc0 or
later, which was updated from 3.0.3 to 3.0.4. We are tracking the
issue at #3671. Clement has been notified and we are hoping to put
this to bed today by switching to the generic charpoly implementation
which in this case should not be much slower. Once [If?] we nail the
bug in LinBox we can then switch back.

Cheers,

Michael