On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 7:47 PM, Arnaud Bergeron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 2008/8/23 Philippe Saade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>
>> Hi group,
>>
>> i'am a little bit confused while analysing Sage Python packages and
>> (newbie's default) a would like to ask a simple question :
>
> For the next time, this sort of question goes to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ok, i'll get it for next time.

>> when one types
>>
>> var('x')
>> f_exp = exp(x)
>> plot_f_exp = plot(f_exp)
>> plot_f_exp.show()
>>
>> what happens exactly in the "plot()" part ?
>> is sage/plot/plot.py in charge of that plot() ?
>
> In sage/plot/plot.py the __call__ method in the PlotFactory class is
> the function that is called.

Thanks. I didn't noticed it while reading sage/plot/plot.py.

>> Is the notebook calling some other function ?
>
> It calls prepare() over your input as it always does, but aside from
> that, there are no special commands
>
>> What are the exact options available for that plot command ? [using
>> Tab gives me a help page talking about xmin, xmax, etc and these don't
>> work...]
>
> To see a list of options, type:
>
> plot?
>
> in a notebook cell and evaluate it.
>
> If you are saying you've seen that list and the options do not work,
> you will have to post the exact command you entered for us to see what
> is wrong.
It's very simple : if i type
plot? under 3.1.1 i get the help page which contains the following section :

PLOT OPTIONS:
    The plot options are
        plot_points -- the number of points to initially plot before
                       doing adaptive refinement
        plot_division -- the maximum number of subdivisions to
                         introduce in adaptive refinement.
        max_bend      -- parameter that affects adaptive refinement
        xmin -- starting x value
        xmax -- ending x value
        color -- an rgb-tuple (r,g,b) with each of r,g,b between 0 and 1, or
                 a color name as a string (e.g., 'purple'), or an HTML
                 color such as '#aaff0b'.

The two options named xmin and xmax are not valid options.
(as in
sage: plot(exp,xmin=-1,xmax=3)
)

As William said that the plot function has been completely rewritten,
it might be that all this is unnecessary noise and i apologize
sincerely for it.
I am writing a tutorial in french and i wanted to cover all possible options...

Thanks for your patience

Philippe