On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Philippe Saade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 7:47 PM, Arnaud Bergeron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> 2008/8/23 Philippe Saade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>>
>>> Hi group,
>>>
>>> i'am a little bit confused while analysing Sage Python packages and
>>> (newbie's default) a would like to ask a simple question :
>>
>> For the next time, this sort of question goes to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
> Ok, i'll get it for next time.
>
>>> when one types
>>>
>>> var('x')
>>> f_exp = exp(x)
>>> plot_f_exp = plot(f_exp)
>>> plot_f_exp.show()
>>>
>>> what happens exactly in the "plot()" part ?
>>> is sage/plot/plot.py in charge of that plot() ?
>>
>> In sage/plot/plot.py the __call__ method in the PlotFactory class is
>> the function that is called.
>>
> Thanks. I didn't noticed it while reading sage/plot/plot.py.
>
>>> Is the notebook calling some other function ?
>>
>> It calls prepare() over your input as it always does, but aside from
>> that, there are no special commands
>>
>>> What are the exact options available for that plot command ? [using
>>> Tab gives me a help page talking about xmin, xmax, etc and these don't
>>> work...]
>>
>> To see a list of options, type:
>>
>> plot?
>>
>> in a notebook cell and evaluate it.
>>
>> If you are saying you've seen that list and the options do not work,
>> you will have to post the exact command you entered for us to see what
>> is wrong.
> It's very simple : if i type
> plot? under 3.1.1 i get the help page which contains the following section :
>
> PLOT OPTIONS:
>    The plot options are
>        plot_points -- the number of points to initially plot before
>                       doing adaptive refinement
>        plot_division -- the maximum number of subdivisions to
>                         introduce in adaptive refinement.
>        max_bend      -- parameter that affects adaptive refinement
>        xmin -- starting x value
>        xmax -- ending x value
>        color -- an rgb-tuple (r,g,b) with each of r,g,b between 0 and 1, or
>                 a color name as a string (e.g., 'purple'), or an HTML
>                 color such as '#aaff0b'.
>
> The two options named xmin and xmax are not valid options.
> (as in
> sage: plot(exp,xmin=-1,xmax=3)
> )
>
> As William said that the plot function has been completely rewritten,

Sorry, I only meant that the part of the function that does
adaptive refinement has been rewritten.

The xmin/xmax stuff used to work, but not so long ago Bobby
Moretti rewrote all the plot code to use

   plot(f, (a,b))

to plot from a to b, to be more consistent.  He must have forgot
to change the docs appropriately as you point out above.  Thanks!

> it might be that all this is unnecessary noise and i apologize
> sincerely for it.

We want to know about all bugs and mistakes!  THanks!

> I am writing a tutorial in french and i wanted to cover all possible
> options...
>
> Thanks for your patience
>
> Philippe
>

>> Arnaud