I thought J. Palmieri and I had fixed that, but it looks like his
patch hasn't made it in for some reason.  It is trac 2339:

That said, I think the way Sage uses matplotlib currently is somewhat
confusing and 2D plotting needs lots of other work (one of my pet
peeves is the way margins are added to the bounds).

-M. Hampton