John Cremona wrote:
> On another point, how exactly did you merge a whole sequence of
> patches into one?  I tried that using a very error-prone manual way
> (create newclone, copy all files which I know have changed under the
> patch sequence from oldclone to newclone, then commit).  I'm sure you
> must have a better way!

At Sage Days 7, Jason Grout gave a talk on Mercurial queues, and I have
been a devoted user ever since.  They have made the Sage-related part of
my life significantly happier.

I have been meaning to add a section on this to the programming guide,
and that might still happen some day.  In the mean time, see Jason's
wiki notes (describing two frequent scenarios) at

                http://wiki.sagemath.org/MercurialQueues

and the relevant parts of the official Mercurial docs:

                http://hgbook.red-bean.com/hgbookch12.html
                http://hgbook.red-bean.com/hgbookch13.html

To answer your question more precisely, the command qfold allows one to
fold several patches into one.  I have just added a typical scenario
describing this to Jason's notes on the wiki.

Best,
Alex

--
Alexandru Ghitza