Hi Dan,

On 18 Sep., 05:43, Dan Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Last week my new computer arrived. It has a Core 2 Quad CPU, 4 gigs of
> RAM, and is very shiny. Unfortunately, I've had trouble compiling and
> testing Sage with it. :(
>
> I can compile 3.1.2 (using pbuild and make -j4 was problematic, but
> we'll save that for later), but when I run 'make test', some test will
> simply stop. This happens every time, and often with different tests.
> The CPU usage is zero, and nothing happens. The test just sits there.
>
> I've noticed the tests that hang tend to be using Maxima, so perhaps the
> trouble is with Maxima or clisp. I am running Ubuntu Intrepid amd64
> because Hardy doesn't have support for my motherboard, and have gcc
> version 4.3.1.
>
> Are there known problems with this setup? Any ideas on how to fix this,
> or what exactly is wrong?
>
> Dan
>
> --
> ---  Dan Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> -----  KAIST Department of Mathematical Sciences
> -------  http://math.kaist.ac.kr/~drake
>
>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

there seem to be two intertwining issues here:

On the one hand, sometimes maxima seems to crash. Personally, I have
seen this only under low memory conditions, so it shouldn't occur with
your 4GB RAM machine.
Could try to rerun the testsuite e.g. overnight on a freshly booted
system with not any other apps (Firefox, ...) running and tell what
happens then?

On the other hand, whenever maxima crashes during the testsuite, on
should simply get the message
"maxima crashed -- automatically restarted"
and then the testsuite should proceed (noting this particular test as
having failed).
Sporadically however, this mechanism does not seem to work, so the
testsuite hangs, no CPU load.
It the helps on my Mac to manually kill the "lisp.run" processes
(usually there are two of them), these seem to be maxima's ones.
Then, I get that output "maxima crashed --- automatically restarted"
and the testsuite continues.

This way, you can at last get "through" the whole testsuite.

Cheers,
gsw