This is less than what google or sun does. However, GAP does nothing like this.
On the other hand, GAP is organized around modules (often single-authored
and sometimes with non-GPL'd licenses), with a small number of people
contributing to the kernel. I don't think Maxima does this either. But
as I pointed out
in the original post, the book by Van Lindberg seems to be indicating
that this is
something he recommends thinking about.

The idea is that this would be a 1-time agreement, ideally when you sign up
for a trac account. I'm trying to figure out how to set this up using
a simple form
interface, which you fill out and submit once and for all. (I have not
gotten an okay
from William or Michael on this, just an idea I would like to present for
possible approval from everyone). I really think this should be totally
pain-free. Maybe I'm not presenting it very clearly, but that is
probably because
I'm not sure what the simplest and most scalable solution is.