Elizabeth Yip wrote:
> Hello

Hi Elizabeth,

> I have been using sage on opensuse 10.2 for a long time.  It has been
> a great replacement for mathematica for me.  Thank you for all the
> good work !!
>
> Recently, I updated my system to 11.1.  Before the update, I was using
>  Sage Version 3.2, Release Date: 2008-11-20.
> When I tried to use this version with opensuse 11.1, I got the
> following error:

> | Sage Version 3.2, Release Date: 2008-11-20                         |
> | Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
> sh: symbol lookup error: /local/sage-3.0.1/local/lib/libreadline.so.5:
> undefined symbol: PC

This is the same readline problem that is hitting you during the
build.

> sage:
>
> I downloaded the latest source  sage-3.2.3.tar to do a fresh install
> and got  an error in installing singular.    Here is a link to the
> install.log.gz.
>
> https://sites.google.com/site/mislwagroup/Home/install.log.gz?attredirects=0

As expected it is the the readline problem we have been seeing on
OpenSUSE 11.1. It was only fixed for 32 bit in Sage 3.2.3 and in your
case an old 32 bit readline exists in /lib so that the problem is only
exposed later when building Singular.

> What is the quickest way for me to get a working version of Sage on my
> system?

sagemath.org has 32 and 64 bit binaries for OpenSUSE 11.1 that are
misnamed "opensuse" and should work.

I have a fix for the 64 bit OpenSUSE 11 readline problem and it will
be in 3.3.alpha4. I just build 3.3.alpha3 + that fix on OpenSUSE 11.1
and all tests passed.

> Thank you for your help !!
>
> Elizabeth Yip

Cheers,