On Jan 31, 7:40 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Elizabeth Yip <el...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the suggestion. It works !!!
>
> > Then I tried to rerun some of my old worksheets and had a problem with
> > plot3d.  I got an empty gray rectangle, no display.
>
> > plot3d was working very nicely when I was running opensuse 10.2 !!
>
> > I openedhttp://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xmlto test my
> > java environment and saw the Dancing Duke logo animated.
>
> > I am using the system's firefox which is 64 bit.  If this problem
> > would be fixed in sage 3.3, that's good enough for me !!
>
> I have personally never seen jmol (Sage 3d plotting java applet) work
> with 64-bit firefox.

There are two possible fixes:

 * Install the Sun JDL and use that. The latest JDK is supposed to
support 64 bit plugins, but I have never tried that, so running a 32
browser might also be needed here

 * fix the problem with non-Sun JDKs. Jason and some other dude whose
name I do not recall in IRC did track down the problem to some extend
and I also think we should just use the jmol.sh provided by the jmol
folks

The second option is certainly more work than the first one, but you
asked :)

Cheers,

Michael