Em Sex, 2009-01-23 às 09:49 -0800, rjf escreveu:

> On Jan 22, 6:26 pm, mhampton <hampto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A python/
> > cython/javascript spreadsheet for the Sage notebook would be great -
> > unfortunately I'm not going to write one.  I think it would be hard to
> > do it right.
> >
> > -M. Hampton
>
> I have heard that the major competition for Mathematica is not Maple,
> but Matlab.
>
> And that the major competition for Matlab is not Mathematica, but
> Excel.
>
> There are spreadsheet interfaces in Maple.  One is so you can use a
> spreadsheet
> paradigm within Maple.  Implementing a simple spreadsheet in lisp or
> Maple is not too hard;
> I assume the same holds for python.
>

>  I wrote a paper with an undergraduate showing
> how to call Lisp (and therefore Maxima) from Microsoft's Excel.  The
> range data is
> transferred to and from Lisp in a standard form. Symbolic data must be
> strings. We also
> add to the spreadsheet, commands for lisp evaluation, and lambda
> expressions.
>
> Whether this is the right design or not, it is fairly obvious, and for
> someone who like Excel (+ Lisp)
> allows pretty much full access..
>
> Of course Excel can be used generally to allow access
> to all those numeric libraries in a way which may be comparable in
> convenience to any
> of your favorite languages.  I suspect that one could  mimmick all the
> scripting of
> python with an extremely thin layer of python between Excel and
> <whatever>, making
> those libraries appear to be available in Excel directly.
>
> Just as I can run MPFR, GMP, .... from Excel using a very thin layer
> of Lisp.
> We found the key was to write a very very thin layer of visual
> basic.to get to Lisp.
>
> Probably VB totally, could link to numerics without lisp or
> python...

There are ways to integrate Python and Excel. I've never seen Excel call
python, but surely I've seen Python use Excel. Last month I tried for
the first time using comtypes... I've played a little and know that one
can even use Excel's text-to-speech features :)

Also, one has direct access to cells' contents.

By the way, even though I don't like Excel for any number crunching,
there are even books around which address the subject of using it for
scientific stuff.

Hell, I've even seen someone use Excel in some twisted way to make
semi-automatic macros for AutoCAD!

>From what I've seen, those who have tasted R have switched with no
regrets (though I've never been one of those, but at least I use numpy).

Ronan