On Jan 22, 4:35 pm, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu>
wrote:

> I pity those who find themselves trying to do serious scientific
> programming with excel :). Though there are certainly a lot of
> rational arguments against it, there may be some out there that are
> as enthusiastic about Excel as we are about Python or you are about
> lisp.
>
> - Robert

For scientific computing, of course we can laugh at Excel.  But there
are many analysis tasks it is good at, and for which it is _extremely_
popular.  One could win a lot of people over with a spreadsheet that
was well-integrated with other tools in some language.  A python/
cython/javascript spreadsheet for the Sage notebook would be great -
unfortunately I'm not going to write one.  I think it would be hard to
do it right.

-M. Hampton